Having sat out much of the breaking news on this sequel to the Anna Hazare saga, some quick reactions:
- For 11 years it was next to impossible for any political leader across the entire spectrum of the political opposition to expose the Manmohan Singh-Sonia Gandhi compact for its real cost to the Nation.
- The Anna Hazare saga just did that, the teflon coating and the unexplained sickness were not of much help.
- The perceived moral high ground that was acquired by Sonia Gandhi staying out of a power and a “decent” Manmohan Singh propped up to power, has been lost. The relative credibility of a well groomed Brand Rahul Gandhi has been rendered irrelevant as well.
- All of the above proved ineffective in the Congress managing a petulant Anna Hazare and the perceived public sentiment in support of his cause.
- The Sonia Gandhi era Congress’ soft underbelly has been exposed. There are some causes and personalities that the Nehru-Gandhi brand just simply cannot overwhelm or transcend when it comes to the battle of perception within the minds of Urban India.
- The BJP has little celebrate, its belated interventions in Parliament by a Delhi based leadership with a limited mass appeal does not make it a natural beneficiary of the Congress’ loss in this battle of perceptions.
- There is a real danger for it that this wave of anti-Congressism will prop up a 3rd front leader. One doesnt have to look far to figure who that might be.
- Delhi’s media punditry have been long rooting for a Nitish Kumar lead alternative to the discredited UPA government. This TV made revolution may just be the vehicle for them to have their desire satisfied.
- The problem for Nitish Kumar though is that he has not the luxury of a VP Singh to either split the Congress, unite Janata factions and lead a pan-India political front that puts him in command of enough MPs to lead a viable alternative.
- Nitish Kumar so far has been the only serving Chief Minister who has endorsed the Anna agenda in toto. We must not be surprised if he injects himself to this standoff to secure dramatic assurances from Team Anna thus paving a path for himself to Delhi.
- The tragedy for the Urban Middle Class is it knows not where its enlightened self interest lies. A 3rd front government propped up by the Congress or the BJP would be no more in its interests than the current arrangement of having a non-leader occupying the Prime Minister’s Office.
- India needs stable political configurations with Leaders who lead from the front offering its vibrant democracy the choice of the best to lead.
The Congress’ dithering is understandable but what is stopping the BJP from offering up its best to lead the Party ?